16 June, 2012

Bye Bye Glasses...My friend !!

Itz me ....only me....no glasses ..no lens ...and its only me 
Itz mee   
Farewell to My dear friend (Glasses) 
           It was in fourth standard holidays that people at home guessed the problem in my eyes; I was taken to the eye doctor and found that I was short sighted. A thick pair of glasses was fitted on me and you came into my life. As I aged the lenses got thicker (though fiber glasses and other costlier ones made them seem thinner) until 11th or 12th std and then the power became constant...After a year I was introduced to the world of contact lenses.
My friendzz
And the day came …Corrective surgery           
          The good news was I had healthy eyes inspite of high myopia and I was considered eligible for the corrective procedure (though I was warned about the chances of getting back little power). We fixed date for the personalized LASIK at Aravind eye hospital. (Thank you Dr.Hari Priya Mam and the doctors)           
          It was 16th May. Ready with black coolers I was in the waiting room with other patients all winking, with eyes closed or pretending to close, as eye drops were given to all of us. We were called one by one and it was my turn.        
          Into the room….with a cap covering my hair and a large green apron….I lied down with my head toward the Doctor… In the beginning I was asked to stare straight, while he taped a sheet to cover one eye and a holder like device over the other eye to keep it from blinking.While I was looking straight at the red light and could not blink, the doctor started the process. The machine made clicking sound as it worked...It smelled like something burning… the sound and the smell was something familiar. There was a voice ….”Three more….Two more …One more” and it’s done. I could see something brushing my eyes smooth like the car wipers. It was actually cool. I was able to see the red light; sometimes it was clear and sometimes fuzzy. The same was done for the left eye as well.           
          They helped me to get up when it was over. The surgery was quick, about 15 minutes only. When I sat up I could see clearer than without my glasses, First thing I saw was my toes and I was so excited that I could see it clearly without difficulty   it was almost dreamy.            
          Back home with black coolers and the eye drops prescribed for 10 days.
After surgery helpmates
And Now…
Waking Up and Just Being Able to See!!!! …without wavering the hands in search of the specs box...
May be I can try putting on eye makeup...
No more blurry vision and guessing...
No more pushing up the glasses every time...
Trees will no longer look like green sponge/bush but have definite neatly shaped leaves ...
No more contact lens...
It’s easy to see the clock at night without wearing glasses or putting my nose up to the clock...
No more dependencies at water falls and theme parks...
But really missing u sooo much friend…dear glasses…
Bubyeee!!   
           Even now..searching you every time I wake up, after a face wash….and at many times has become an instinct.You have been a part of my life for 12 long years. You made me look more professional and intelligent  , smart and good. You were with me at all hard times hiding my tears and at all happy moments, making my eyes glitter through the lenses.Thank you soooo much!! 
Thank You Appa!! 
  Thank u Appa     
    After a month...during the review check up ... in the reflection room...a little girl called susi (who couldn't even read the first big number on the screen a month back) was jumping 'internally' out of excitement as she could read almost every line(Myopia: NIL). Appa’s 12 yr wish was to get me out of myopia and that was evident from his happy tears.
Wonder!!....Delighted!! Thank you so much Appa !! 


-Susithra Soodamani-

3 comments:

  1. hey susi,its nice as usual.....and putting drawing in between is so nice....and yes we look smart with glasses (thats y iam wearing)...and cud get the feelin of missing glasses..nice one...post reg and keep blog live

    ReplyDelete
  2. say Good bye to specs.... :-)
    so nice drawings ka...

    ReplyDelete